Drivers From Other States

If you move into Delaware from another State, you must apply for a Delaware driver's license within 60 days after becoming a resident. You must turn in your previously issued out-of-state driver's license or have a current certified copy of your driving record, provide proof of legal presence such as a birth certificate or passport, proof of social security number, two proofs of DE residency and all proofs of legal name change if applicable.  If proper documentation is provided, you will be issued a federally compliant driver license.  Please refer to the "Acceptable Identification Document List" for more information.  Applicants will be required to fill out an application and pass an eye screening test. Written and road test may be given, but they are normally waived if your license is valid. Suspended and revoked licenses can not be transferred until the withdrawal action is cleared.

Drivers From Other Countries.

Non-resident drivers over the age of 16 years who have a valid driver license issued by their home country may operate motor vehicles upon the highways of this State when their license is in their immediate possession. Sixty days after the non-resident driver becomes a Delaware resident, he/she must apply for a Delaware driver license. Drivers from other countries may retain their foreign licenses. All drivers licensed in other countries and U.S. Territories must pass both the written and road test. Exception: Delaware has a reciprocity agreement with Germany, Taiwan (Republic of China) and France thereby exempting these drivers from the written and road tests."

Sample of Forms:

Driver License Instructions