Motorcycle Rider Course Information:
The Additional Riding Course: (Novice)
The Additional Riding Course is only available to those students who previously completed a Delaware Motorcycle Program BRC. To be eligible for enrollment in the Additional Riding Course you must have passed the Knowledge Test with a minimum score of 80% and accumulated 21 or more points on the Riding Skills Evaluation. Your eligibility will be determined prior to enrollment.
You must take this course within 90 days of your unsuccessful completion of the BRC. This is a one day course. The class consists of approximately 1 hour classroom instruction and 6 hours of range instruction/riding. The classroom portion will cover Risk Management, Riding Gear and Range Rules. The range exercises will address starting/stopping, limited space maneuvers, cornering and avoiding hazards. At the completion of the range instruction the Riding Skills Evaluation will be administered. If you successfully complete the Riding Skills Evaluation, receive a score of 20 points or less, you will be issued a Student Completion Card. Present the Student Completion Card at any DMV, take an eye test and pay the fee to receive a new driver's license with an "M" endorsement.
Other options available to you if you are unsuccessful during the Basic Rider Course or Additional Riding Course; reschedule for another Basic Rider Course, or take the learner's permit examination at the DMV. Once you receive your permit you must wait 10 days before taking the riding test at DMV. When you successfully pass riding test you will be issued a motorcycle endorsement.
Course Registration Information
The registration fee for Delaware residents is . Out-of-state residents pay .
You are considered a Delaware resident if you:
- Live in Delaware and hold a current, valid Delaware driver’s license
- Are military personnel or a dependent of one stationed in Delaware and have a valid driver’s license from another state, or
- Have a valid driver’s license from another state and are currently enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 semester credits) in an accredited Delaware university, college, or community college.
If you are under 18 years of age you must:
- Your parent or legal guardian must accompany you to the first session of class to sign the course waiver. If they are unable to accompany you to the first session, they can request the waiver from the registration office and return it with their notarized signature.
- Have completed driver education, and have a full Class D license without restrictions.
- Students are not permitted to take the motorcycle course on a Graduated Driver License, which is a permit. It is not a license until it is upgraded to a Class D license when the driver completes twelve months of supervised driving experience.
Listed below are all of the locations where courses are offered. The number in parentheses represents how many additional riding courses are currently scheduled at that location. If you wish to attend an additional riding course at a location where none are scheduled, please check back at another time.
Receiving Other Course Information
You can receive course information the following ways: E-mail your name and address, city, state, zip to firstname.lastname@example.org and a brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you. Call 302-832-5163 (New Castle County), 302-744-2658 (Kent County) or 302-853-1030 (Sussex County). Leave the requested information on the voice mail recorder, speaking clearly and slowly. A brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you. Unless otherwise notified, registrants will receive course confirmation by mail upon receipt of payment. If a student does not receive a confirmation letter within 10 working days of registering, call the Registration Office and leave your name, phone number, best time to call you, and a message to that effect. Each course is limited to 12 students. If fewer than 6 persons have enrolled for a class, the class will be cancelled and you will have a choice of rescheduling to another class or requesting a refund. Registration fees are non-refundable for any reason except course cancellation or if the student provides at least 72 hours notification of canceling. All student requested refunds will be subject to a $15.00 processing fee. No requests for refund will be processed after December 31 of that training year. Requests must be sent in writing to the Coordinator along with your driver license number, Social Security Number, check number and amount, name, address, phone number and class number, to Coordinator, DMCP, P.O. Box 698, Dover, DE 19903.
Proper Riding Gear
A motorcycle rider is physically vulnerable. In an accident, a rider and passenger on a motorcycle are more likely to be injured than an automobile driver and passenger. Wearing protective gear, however, can reduce motorcycle injuries.
All students must wear the following items of apparel to ride a motorcycle in the class:
- Low-heel, sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear. Boots are recommended; cloth or canvas shoes are not permitted.
- Jeans or sturdy long pants. No sweats.
- Long-sleeved shirt or jacket.
- DOT- approved 3/4 or full-face helmet. (Loan helmets available).
- Eye protection (glasses or goggles).
- Full-fingered gloves.
Show up for class regardless of the weather. Any cancellation of the class will be determined by your instructor at the class site. Classes begin on time. Your absence from or tardiness to any portion of the course will result in; your unsuccessful completion of the course, you will not be allowed to continue and your registration fee will be forfeit.
- Get a professional introduction to motorcycling with the beginner rider course!
- Get your license to ride! Course graduates are exempt from the DMV road test.
- Save 10% on your motorcycle liability insurance! Course graduates receive an MSF and State of Delaware Student Completion Card, entitling you to a 10% liability insurance discount. This discount begins on the inception date or the first renewal date of your motorcycle policy and terminates at the policy's expiration date subsequent to three years after completion of the course. You must send a copy of this card to your insurance company in order to receive the discount.
- Your original student completion card cannot be replaced so keep it in a secure place.
Note: The State of Delaware cannot guarantee that other states will accept our course as certification for a motorcycle endorsement, nor can we guarantee the 10% liability insurance discount in other states.
This program is administered through the Delaware Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles. Delaware motorcyclists fund this program through licensing, license renewals, and motorcycle registration fees.