The Division sells vanity license plates for vehicle owners wishing to display these tags on their vehicles. The fee for a vanity license plate is $40.00 per year in addition to the normal annual registration fee for the vehicle. You may use the Vanity Plate Search and Reservation to check the availability of the desired plate and place your order online. All vanity license plates must be ordered and purchased online. In-person requests are no longer accepted.
To be eligible for purchase, the vanity license plate must be assigned to a vehicle that contains a Delaware vehicle registration. The vehicle registration must be valid for at least 90 days prior to placing an order. The order may only be placed by the vehicle owner(s). Once purchased, the vanity license plate will be sent to the current mailing address on the vehicle registration.
If an address change is required OR the vehicle registration expires in less than 90 days, you may utilize MyDMV to update the registration. Please keep in mind that a vehicle registration renewal may require a Delaware inspection. Please refer to DMV’s General Inspection Information to determine if your vehicle may require an inspection to be renewed.
The issuance of vanity plates is subject to the following rules. The Division has final approval on any vanity plate issued, and any plate considered vulgar or offensive in nature will be denied or recalled if issued in error.
- Vanity plates may display a single letter, a combination of letters, or combination of letters and numerals not to exceed seven (7) in length. Motorcycle vanity plates are restricted to five (5) in length.
- If the plate includes numerals, the numerals shall be displayed to the right of all letters.
- No vanity plate with all numerals is authorized.
- Hyphens, ampersands, and spaces are permitted and will count as one letter. No other punctuation marks are allowed.
- Any request that contains obscenity, vulgarity, profanity, hate speech, or fighting words will be denied.
The Division cannot approve any vanity plate that may conflict with any existing license plate. The following is a brief, but not all-encompassing, list of vanity plate restrictions. The large number of organizational and special license plates issued by the Division prohibits the publishing of an all-encompassing list of restrictions. Due to conflicting possibilities with existing regular license plates, the following combinations shall not be issued:
- The prefixes " A, C, CL, CT, CY, D, DAV, DL, DX, F, FD, FT, FV, HA, I, LX, MC, MCB, MCE, MCJ, MH, MIA, MP, NO 1, NO 2, NO 3, OH, PC, POW, PT, R, RT, RV, S, SR, T, TC, TV, TX, U, V " followed by any numerals.
- Any of the specialty plate prefixes followed by any numerals.
- The letter "I" or the letter "O" immediately followed by a numeral.
- Any combination that consists solely of letters "I" and "O", and numerals "1" and "0".